Gcc not found

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 11 18:12:25 UTC 2005

Juan wrote:

>I am trying to install ngrep. I am using FC3 and when I do the configure I
>am getting : error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH.
>Can someone help me in solving this?
>Thanks
>
>Juanfe

Well, it means that your PATH environment variable is not
set correctly, or that you did not install a compiler.

I don't know how much you know, so I'll presume lowest
amount of knowledge on your part. Don't take anything
as an insult.

I presume you use bash or something like it for your
shell.

There are things called "environment variables", which
can be set. They are names which translate to strings.
Programs can query the values of these variables. You may
look at yours by using the set command.

One variable in particular, the PATH variable, tells your
shell (command interpreter) where to look for commands
which it does not directly understand. So, for example,
when you use grep, your shell (bash or whatever you use)
has to know where to find it. You can find out the value
of your PATH variable by doing this:

$ set | grep PATH

The various places to search are separated by colons (':').
If you do a

$ which grep

you'll find out where grep is located. If you look in
PATH, you'll find that location as one of the places
to search.

A compiler is a program which translates text source into
executable programs. Presumably, you have source for ngrep,
and the configurator is trying to find out how to translate
the source you have into a program. It can't find the
translator. It's doing the equivalent of

$ which cc
$ which gcc
etc.

and none of them is coming up with a successful result.
So either you have a compiler, but PATH is not set to
find it, or you haven't installed a compiler.

Mike