SSH publickey auth

Michael Yep myep at remotelink.com
Mon Jul 11 20:04:06 UTC 2005

I am well acquainted with passwords and passphrases.  When I say
password, it more means passphrase.
For all my accounts I use a minimum of 10 digits, use the full 95 char
character set, and generate it with a SHA1PRNG and ill change 1 or 2
characters
I always use different passwords for every account and change them every
30 - 44 days.  Now my dilemma is this:
I have high confidence in the standard linux logon, it is tested, and
strong, but with PublicKey auth there is more code (easier for there to
be a bug).
In addition if I *were* to lose my keys, private or both, perhaps
someone could derive my password from a reverse cryptanalysis attack.
Brute force attacks are tough, and thats as much as Id like to give an
attacker, I don't want to give them more tools than they already have.
We once thought MD5 was secure, and SHA1, but weaknesses are found, and
computing power goes up.

--
Michael Yep
Development / Technical Operations