Were are POP3 and IMAP in core 4?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Jul 11 22:06:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 20:06 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 11.07.2005 schrieb mjohnson at deltains.net um 20:06:
>
> > Just upgraded from Redhat 9 to CORE 4 and lost imap and pop3.
> > Tried a fresh install and still none listed in services.
>
> uw-imapd from former times was kicked a while ago. Use dovecot, if being
> an advanced user with need for a powerful IMAP/POP3 server choose
> Cyrus-IMAPd from Extras.
>
> > Email, PHP, and Ilohamail  are the two reasons I use Linux.
> > Why are they not included anymore?
>
> "Email" is included, of course. PHP too. I don't remember that Ilohamail
> was ever part of Red Hat Linux. Fedora comes with Squirrelmail as a
> webmailer.
>
> > Reading on the internet I have come across a few articles that says:
> > Because of the short lifecycle of the Fedora Core they should not be used
> > for production servers.  Is this true?  Should I look to another distro
> > for a mail server.  From what little I have used it though I like the
> > feel over RedHat 9...
>
> In which area does your mail server run? Is it home use or do you have a
> huge user base? Does the machine run locally or remote in a datacenter?
> Such facts will influence a decision whether Fedora is a good choice or
> not.

NOTE:
I just set up a RHES4 server this weekend, and there were a couple of
things that had me scratching my head for a little while. I know
this is the FC4 list, but I had the same problems on FC3, so I am
guessing they havn't been fixed.
1) in dovecot you have to edit the config file to support pop3.
2) if you have any users below uid/gid 500 you will need to change
that as well.

Once dovecot is setup properly squirrelmail works great.

If you install clamav,clamd and clamav-milter you will need to
fix a few config files, and make sure sendmail.{mc,cf} are
updated to reflect the changes. Right from the start there
are permission and socket conflicts, as well as a missing
directory for the log file. The docs are a bit confusing,
but just for a heads up two socket files should be
created when all is working properly, so when your editing
the clamd files use one socket filename and when you are
editing config files for clamav-milter use another.

It seems to me there was also a problem with spamd, I think
a logfile or logging directory was misconfigured, but I
can't remember. I spent 25 hours migrating a RH 9 server
that had "custom" features installed to the new server.

Good luck.