another Yum problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 12 06:45:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 01:12 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> Tonight, even though I do yum updates several times a week, I came up with a
> list of 633 updates available. How could this be? I did an rpm rebuilddb and
> I run yum clean all, but I still get this huge list. I can't believe so many
> packages have new updates in the past 48 hours, or less. My repos are the
> standard Fedora including extras and development, Livna, and KDE-Redhat.

Check out a sample of what it's saying needs updating.

Do "yum check-update" to get a list of the packages that need updating.

For some of those packages, do "rpm -q packagename" to see which version
you have installed. Compare that with what yum is suggesting to install.
Is the version yum is suggesting later?

Which repositories are the majority of the updates from? Have you
enabled a development repo by mistake?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>