WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

David Fuess fuess1 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 12 12:30:16 UTC 2005

At 04:19 AM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
>Stefan Held wrote:
>
> > Well i am using it as Development Station at Home, at Work. But this is
> > what i suspect if i use bleeding edge Tecnology. Most of the users miss
> > that the Fedora Core Series is a playground for Developers. If you wan't
> > stable Releases buy RHEL.
>
>This is nonsense.
>Fedora-4 is not "bleeding edge".
>That is like saying the Ford Ka is the bleeding edge of transportation.
>
>Fedora-4 is just a collection of supposedly stable RPMs,
>most of which were available in FC-3 anyway.
>
>A bug is a bug, and should be corrected, not excused.
>
>I think Fedora-4 is pretty good,
>but too many bugs got past those who should have been looking for them.
>Linus Torvalds has a far more difficult job with the kernel,
>and very little seems to get past him and his team.
>
>--
>Timothy Murphy
>e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
>tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
>s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
>
>--

Yes, this thread has been far too alarmist in the posting and far too
condescending in the responses. Obviously the poster felt that he was
providing a valid warning to others in a similar situation, which is
probably nobody because in my experience every installation and application
is unique eventually if not initially. But let's leave the instant hostile
and ridiculing responses to the MAC and Windows pundits.

I have had some issues with selinux. Mostly due to my lack of understanding
of how to deal with it and how to establish the proper policy. Then I
recalled the frequent admonition of one of my favorite sysadmins "reading
is essential" and long with that I add "planning, thinking, and avoiding
panic" while implementing what you read. The answers are out there, the
game is to find them.

As for the grey area in FC4 install and usage folks have discussed before.
It becomes a lot smaller when you list all services that the server
provides and indicate which are critical. If even one service is absolutely
critical then you need to either perform a test install to verify the
critical service or read extensively to determine if it's reasonably safe
to proceed. Even then, you need to have a backup plan. It is only
reasonable that if a service is critical you should apply all means
necessary to safeguard it.

Dave