File Sharing FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 12 18:10:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 18:54 +0100, Thierry Sayegh wrote:
> Steve Croteau wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I'd like to share files with another FC3 box in my home office and don't know
> > where to begin the process.  A Google search returned some info on CIFS but
> > that sounds like it's for file sharing with a windows box.  NOT!  Any advice
> > is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Steve
> >
> I reckon you are after creating NFS shares, nice and easy
> how-to available there: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/index.html

Another one to try is:

http://www.brennan.id.au/19-Network_File_System.html

If you want to share files so that they can be written as well as read
(you probably do), it's important to make sure that the user IDs you
have on both machines are the same. If you add the accounts in the same
order on both machines, you should get the same UIDs. Alternatively you
could use something like NIS or LDAP to have network-wide identities,
but that's probably overkill for what you need.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>