fedora-list Digest, Vol 17, Issue 134

Roy mlist at ncbrandon.com
Wed Jul 13 09:04:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 04:36 -0400, Jerry W. Whitmire wrote:

> Man this really throw me off track if something is broken as root do not use root. leave it broken and go to user where it is not broken!!
> How far will Fedora get if this kind of mentallaty is used ??
> Boy why did i not think of that myself ??
> Jerry W. Whitmire
> Just a user of Fedora.
> jerryw4386 at netscape.net

It's not that things are broken as root, they weren't designed to be
used by a plain old user called "root". Root is the "superuser" the
ultimate ruler of the whole system.
Booting into the system as root is like having a car, that when someone
approaches it, the doors open automatically, and when someone sits in
the driver's seat, the engine starts automatically, and leaving it in
the middle of a big city, going off somewhere for a few hours, and
expecting it to be there when you get back. A miss-typed word or the
wrong mouse movement or click, and ya might end up with an empty drive.