FC4 (x)maple 9.5.2 "connection to kernel lost", java problem?

Benjamin Duehring fedora at lyxx.de
Wed Jul 13 12:16:14 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 23:17, J.F. Vasconcelos wrote:
> Hello
>
> Another way to disable the IPV6 is:
>
> - edit /etc/sysconfig/network/config
> - set USE_IPV6=no
> - exit.
> - run "rcnetwork restart"
>
> It was tested under SUSE but probably works on Fedora. Doesn't
> requires computer restart...
>
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 10:54 +0100, Des Johnston wrote:
> > The java frontend to maple (9.5.2) that fires up with xmaple returns a
> > "connection to kernel lost" and opens up a window which doesn't accept
> > input in FC4. Command line maple and the old-fashioned maple -cw
> > interfaces are still working fine in FC4. There are no problems in FC3.
> >
> > Has anyone found an FC4 workaround? Fiddling around with the built in
> > java vm in maple didn't offer any improvement for me.
>
> It seems that I have found the problem.
> Apparently Java gets confused by IPV6, so ipv6 must be disabled.
> This can be done, by putting the following lines
> into /etc/modprobe.conf:
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off
> Reboot, then xmaple should run fine.
> --

If you don't want to disable IPv6 (because you need it or you just want to
leave your system as it was) here is a fix for maple:
- change to directory /opt/maple9.5/jre.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/bin (maybe you don't
have chosen /opt as a prefix, so take your prefix)
- cp java java.orig (backup the java runtime executable)
- create a new java file with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
/opt/maple9.5/jre.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/bin/java.orig
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack="true" $*

(Modify the /opt prefix if you don't have installed maple there)
- chmod 0755 java (make the just created file executable)

This fix will start maple in ipv4 only java and you don't need to touch the
rest of your system.

If you have any questions, please drop me an email.

Benjamin Duehring, FORWISS|
Universitaet Passau       | Priv. e-mail : duehring at forwiss.uni-passau.de
D-94030 Passau            | WWW          : http://www.lyxx.de/card