WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 13 13:13:09 UTC 2005

Joseph Green wrote:

> As for your reference to your job when you were younger, I've had a
> similar experience in autobody/automechanics work that I did for several
> years. I don't think that applies here, because a) this is primarily a
> community list, b) alot of the dev's for things that the original poster
> complained about don't exactly get paid to do their dev work, and c) the
> fedora devs have been getting their job on time by testing things to the
> extent that they could privately, and then releasing for major tests to
> the general public.

I agree with you generally,
except for the bit about the developers not getting paid.

That is a dangerous line to peddle,
as it quickly turns into "Linux is not as good as Windows,
because you won't get the same quality of developers
if you don't pay them."

Personally, I find Fedora-4 as "stable" as Windows-XP
(actually, all distributions of Linux and Windows that I use
have been stable for years),
I also find Fedora more attractive for various reasons.

At the same time, I'm quite critical of some aspects of Fedora development.
One has been the lack of coherent documentation,
but this seems to be being addressed pretty comprehensively now.

My other main complaint at the moment is with the Redhat bugzilla
service that Fedora uses, which seems to me difficult to use,
so that I imagine a large number of bugs go unreported.

My last complaint is more specifically with Anaconda.
What exactly is the aim of the Anaconda developers?
I would hope that their main aim
was to allow installation of Fedora
on as wide a range of computers as possible.
In particular, I would hope that they would do their best to ensure
that if Fedora-n installs on machine X,
then Fedora-(n+1) will also install on machine X.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366