WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 18:00:11 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>>>Consider the possibility that an installation might not work on machine
>>>X, but an upgrade might.
>>>

>>Then you've created a totally unique situation where the reason it works
>>at all is likely because you have bits and pieces of some unrelated
>>version still running.  That might work for you, but if you have
>>problems no one else will understand them or be able to help.
>>

>How can one have "bits and pieces of some unrelated version still running"
>if you do a clean install?

Erm, he was responding to your comment on having an upgrade
work when a clean install won't. His point is well-taken, I think.

>I'm not actually asking for your help,
>I'm simply pointing out that your dogmatic assertion
>that installation is always better than upgrade
>is not true, giving as a counter-example
>the fact that I have a machine where the first did not work,
>and the second did.

I think that your comment about upgrade being in some instances
better than install is well-taken, but not supported by your argument.

IMO Mode on:

A better argument is that if Linux is ever to overtake W* as a user-friendly
OS, it had better find a way to upgrade W/O smashing all user data.

Period.

End of argument.

If overtaking W* is not a goal, then whatever floats your boat is fine.

[snip]

Backup is another area which is black magic at present under *NIX
systems. Until the time comes when a user, upon boot, is presented
with an option to create a disaster recovery set, and is allowed to
make checkpoints to CD/DVD/Whatever by just clicking on a widget
somewhere, then Linux, in all its incarnations, has a long long way
to go just to catch up to W*, let alone overtake it and pass it by.

Just my $0.02 worth. YMMV

IMO Mode off

Mike