PVR and Fedora

Chris Moore cmoore at washpat.com
Wed Jul 13 18:24:43 UTC 2005

Does anyone know what channels I can record, ie digital and analog, if I
set up a Fedora box as a PVR. I have digital cable with 'Brighthouse'
and am wondering if I can record the digital channels, HBO and Cinemax
for instance, with MythTV without actually having the particular channel
being outputted from my cable box. If I record one of the digital
channels but still have to have the cable box tunned to that channel
isn't that just video capture at that point? The overall question is,
can I get a Fedora box to act like TiVo and record any channel that I
subscribe to without having the cable box tuned to that paticular
channel? Do I need a digital TV tuner card? Don't know if I'm missing a
key point here. Any help or insight appreciated.