I've done something Stupid. Help ??

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 14 01:26:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 06:40:26PM -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
> So, now when I try and run yum update I get this:
> root at Issac # yum update
> The yum libraries do not seem to be available on your system for this version
> of python  2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)
> [GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)]
> Please make sure the package you used to install yum was built for your
> install of python.
> Any chance I can fix it, or is it time to move to FC4 ?

Just added this to the Yum FAQ. :)

<http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq>

  Q: I installed a new version of yum (or upgraded my whole system) and now
     when I run yum, I get an error saying "The yum libraries do not seem to
     be available on your system for this version of python" and "Please
     make sure the package you used to install yum was built for your
     install of python." What's wrong with the yum package I've got, or my
     Python installation, and how do I fix it?

  A. This error message is often misleading. To see the real error, run
     python from the command line, and type import yum. The problem probably
     isn't with your version of python at all, but with a missing
     libxml2-python, python-sqlite, or python-elementtree package.

     A future version of yum will attempt to provide different error
     messages for different possible module import errors, so this will
     become less confusing.