fc2->fc4 upgrade with software RAID

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jul 14 07:09:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 18:02 -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>     I am about to attempt an upgrade of my Fedora Core 2 (with Fedora
> Legacy updates) i386 workstation to Fedora Core 4. This machine has
> RAID-1 partitions for /, /var, /boot and /home using software raid.
> I have backed up my /home accounts but am a tad worried about
> anaconda doing the right thing with the RAID-1 partitions. What
> exactly should I look for in anaconda to make certain that it
> is properly recognizing the RAID-1 partitions and will create
> a usable fstab when it reboots? Or will it even modify the fstab
> at all in the case of an upgrade?

If anaconda can find your existing system and offer to upgrade it, you
should be fine. You could double-check by switching to the shell console
after selecting "upgrade" (virtual terminal 2 I think) and enter "df",
which should show your existing partitions being mounted as "md" devices
rather than "sd" or "hd" partitions. Anaconda won't change any of your
existing partition entries in fstab.

I upgraded an FC3 RAID-1 box to FC4 without issues.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>