WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jul 14 13:11:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 14:20 +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:37:55PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, recovering from such kind of breakage is non-trivial and
> > often impossible ...
>
> Is it? The repairdb page on rpm.org has always worked for me.
> http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

If you're lucky you can get away with it.

If you're even more lucky, the fix is to remove all gpg-key*'s from the
db, the run rpm --rebuilddb and to re-import the gpg-keys (There had
been a time when rpm screwed up badly on gpg-keys, some user might have
inherited this problem from this time.)

If you're even yet more lucky, an "rpm --rebuilddb" helps.

If you're less lucky, your rpmdb is hosed in unrecoverable ways.

And if all goes wrong the file system or the hard disk underneath are
damaged.

Except of the HW-failure case, I've seen all cases happening.

Ralf