Xorg and VNC Errors

Joseph Green jgreen at 8x8.com
Thu Jul 14 18:39:31 UTC 2005

My boss ran up2date on one of his FC3 systems (4x 2.66 GHz Xeon, 4GB
memory) which had been running fine until he did that. He didn't know
about yum, and I'm not exactly sure what was updated, but now when it
boots, the text scrolls out like normal, but when it gets to the
graphical part of the boot proccess, the screen goes black. There is no
login prompt displayed and it doesn't come back at all, it just remains
black (the monitor is not in power save mode either). When the system
seems to be up and running, I can still SSH into it, access the website
it is hosting, and use almost all of the terminal tools. However, and
I'm assuming that this has to do with the X issue, I can not VNC into
the box to get a remote desktop. This is the error I'm getting from VNC:

webcal[1] vncs

New 'webcal:7 (jgreen)' desktop is webcal:7

Starting applications specified in /user/jgreen/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /user/jgreen/.vnc/webcal:7.log

webcal[2] *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x086df6e8 ***

It appeared to be related to the XFS 'fixed' font issue earlier, but I
changed my fontpath to the appropriate font directory and that error
isn't showing up anymore (at least not in the Xorg.0.log file). When I
look at my Xorg.0.log file, the last thing that it lists is:

(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

and that's where the log file ends. However, when I look at my vnc
session log, I get:

webcal[6] cat webcal:7.log

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Oct  6 2004 08:11:33
Underlying X server release 60801000, The X.Org Foundation

Thu Jul 14 10:06:33 2005
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
 vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5907
 vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5807
 vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
removing from list!
Linux
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common: line 45:   557 Aborted
(core dumped) xmodmap "$sysmodmap"
Agent pid 571
SESSION_MANAGER=local/webcal:/tmp/.ICE-unix/551
Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension.
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:90:
GtkDeprecationWarning: gtk.mainloop is deprecated, use gtk.main
instead
  self.warn(message, DeprecationWarning)
looking for type: got text/plain
looking for type: got text/plain
looking for type: got application/x-gnome-app-info

I personally see a number of items that look like errors to me. However, when I google most of them (namely (core dumped) xmodmap "$sysmodmap" and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common: line 45:   557 Aborted) I get 6-12month old bug reports on bugzilla about bugs that were supposedly patched previously.

My question here is a two parter, a) what can I do to troubleshoot this more? and b) should I submit a bug report, and what specifically should I be submitting a bug report for (i.e. xmodmap, or Xorg?)?

If there is any more information needed, please let me know, and I'll post it to the list. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Joseph Green