Can't log into FC4 user account [Fatal X11 Error]

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:53:20 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I seem to be having an issue with both of my FC4 boxes that I can't seem to explain. It seems that
when I reboot my machine or even log out for that matter, when I try to log back in I get this X11
error and then it won't let me log back in.

When I attempt to log in a little box shows up that says the following:

Your session only lasted less then 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself this could mean
there is some installation problem or that you maybe out of disk space. Try logging in with one of
the failsafe sessions and see if you can fix this problem. view details (~/.xsession-errors file)

The ~/xsession-errors file says:
/etc/x11/gdm/presession/defafult: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp

/etc/x11/gdm/presession/defafult: Running: /usr/x11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u
/var/run/wtmp -x "var/gdm/:0.xservers" -h " " -l :0 "username"

Gconf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to
enable TCP/IP networking for ORBIT or you have a stale NFS Locks due to a system crash. See
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf for information. (Details - 1: IOR file
'/tmp/gconfd-username/lock/ior not opened successfully' no gconfd located: Permission Denied. 2: IOR
file '/tmp/gconfd-username/lock/ior not opened successfully' no gconfd located: Permission Denied.

Gconf-sanity-check-2 did not pass, logging back out.

On my work machine, I have created several usernames (3) and I am not able to log in or any of them
and they all give me that same error. I can only log in as root.

On my box at home, I created another account and it seems to be working fine for now but I have yet
to reboot that machine.

The only realy difference between the two is that my box at work has 3 netapp servers mounted on it
and even after unmounting them and rebooting, it still doesnt allow me to log in. On my home
machine, I don't have any systems mounted and I still have this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I would love to get away from windows and start using my linux
machine again.