Distrowatch: What went wrong with Fedora Core 4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 15 00:41:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 19:30, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 19:18 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 14 July 2005 18:45, Justin Zygmont wrote:
>> >No, don't discuss this any further.  This is far off topic, and
>> > has wasted enough time already.
>>
>> Well, from my own experience, I do believe its a valid question.
>>
>> Look, sometimes an ego is going to get bruised, even if its mine
>> because I didn't read all the caveats, or hold my chew in the
>> correct side of my mouth, any one of a thousand things.  But when
>> one application (yum) consistently fubars the system, I don't care
>> whose ego is bruised, it still needs to be fixed.  If I'm running
>> it wrong, then so be it, I can be directed.
>
>yum has never messed up my system.

Count your good luck charms & see if I can borrow one or two.

>> But first, I have to get somebodies attention so they can tell me
>> where I screwed up if indeed I did.
>>
>> Put this way, I let yum update 290 some packages.  To get that
>> far, I had to mv Pubkeys and rebuild the rpm database to restore
>> it.  When it was done, the kernel it installed won't boot, and
>> when booted to the older version, now X complains it doesn't have
>> perms to run, and I'm root doing the startx.  If those facts
>> bruise an ego, then I'm sorry, but it doesn't change the FACTS.
>
>Those don't sound like yum bugs to me - sound like bugs in either
> the software or the packages. Or am I missing something?

No, I don't think you are.  I *think* I'm trying to shoot the
messenger.

The real question seems to me, how did this new kernel get past
testing if it won't even boot?  Thats now vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4,
the matching initrd, System.map etc.  The .1-1369 seems to be ok if I
don't want to run X.

And, what broke X?

And, what broke kde's kicker panel?  On a previous install, there was
a report from yum that kde3/launcher_panelapplet.so errored, and it
was repeated during this most recent yum session.  That I believe is
part of kdebase, which yum replaced everytime I could get a boot that
could run yum.  I think the kde3/launcher_panelapplet.so is related
to the loss of the kicker panel at the bottom of the x screen that I
had after the first yum update a week and about 7 installs back,
correct?

I just tried both gnome and kde, neither will run x.  At this point, I
don't think its an x problem or it would log an error.  It is not now
logging any errors.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)