Fedora Core 3 Update: kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Jul 15 18:59:05 UTC 2005

I was in the middle of reporting problems with 1371 when 1372 came
out.  Unfortunately it still has the same problems, but I'm not really
sure what is happening.

Basically, it can't mount the root filesystem.  I'm aware of issues
relating to the nvidia RPMs that wiped out /etc/modprobe.conf, but
mine seems to be OK and in any case my testing machine has no nvidia,
plain IDE, ext3 only with everything but /boot and swap on LVM.

I'll summarize the boot messages I can see before the system dies:

device-mapper: 4.4.0-ioctl...
...dm-zero...
...dm-snapshot...
Making device-maper control node
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes....
Activating logical volumes
Making device nodes
Creating root device
umount /sys failed: 16
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemoted to kill init!
 [...] panic
 [...] profile_task_exit
 [...] do_exit
 [...] next_thread
 [...] syscall_call

I'll fill in the oops data if anyone wants to see it.  I'll also
bugzilla this unless someone thinks I screwed something up.

 - J<