FC4 sound problems

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 22:25:21 UTC 2005

C.F. Scheidecker Antunes wrote:
> I have a gateway P4 box with FC4. The sound is onboard Intel 8280 AC'
> 97. It does not play CDs just some stuff and very low. What shall I do?
> Use a different driver? Alsa? Which one?

This is a Frequently Asked Question.

I'm assuming that normal sounds play just fine, but CDs don't. In that
case, your computer probably doesn't have a sound cable between your
sound card and the CD drive. Install xmms, and from the menu, choose
Options -> Preferences. Look under Audio I/O Plugins and Input plugins
for CD Audio Player, and choose Configure. Then choose Digital audio
extraction.

See if that helps.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.