New thread, was do not install fc4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 16 13:06:56 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Some few people seem to have a LOT of trouble installing the various
> releases of Fedora.  A lot of us (probably most) have little or no
> trouble.  I often wonder how much that is affected by the choice of
> hardware being used.

Obviously that's true.
For a start, the developers probably use standard machines
so they are likely to get it right for them.

(I'm very impressed with the way the Linux kernel works
on every machine under the sun - surely a much more difficult task.)

However, it's up to the developers - in particular the anaconda developers -
to ensure that installation works on as wide a range of machines as possible
and in my view they are not making a very good job of it.

Basically, it's a matter of imagination.
When they make a change in anaconda they should ask themselves,
Could this possibly not work on any machine?

Also they should pay more attention to people who say
that it does not work on their machine.

I posted a bug when FC-4 came out
about anaconda failure on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
OK, probably the developer who looked at it doesn't have this laptop
but I would have guessed that he would see from the traceback
which change in anaconda caused the problem.

However, I've never had any feedback,
except for request for information I had already given.

Personally, I'm not going to get another laptop
so that I can put Fedora on it.
If a Fedora distribution came along that I absolutely could not run
on this machine I'd go over to another distribution,
which would be sad, as I like Fedora when it _is_ installed.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366