questions about RAID, LVM and Clustering in FC4 (+1 minor feedback about FC4 installation)

Steven C. Liu sliu at steven-c-liu.com
Sat Jul 16 15:19:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

I recently installed FC4 on a brand new P4 w/ dual internal 120GB HDD's.  As
part of the installation, I used Anaconda to config the two drives
identically in a RAID-1 arrangement.  Before I fully use this system, I
would like to practice a bit with these new features:

1. What are the commands that Anaconda actually ran?  (Same question for
LVM.)
2. What are the GUI and non-GUI commands?
3. Suppose one disk has a problem, how do I go about breaking the mirror w/o
losing my logical boot volume?
4. How do I make changes to my RAID setup on this system?  (I.e., new
drives, striping, etc.)
5. How do I setup clustering?
6. Where can I read up on how to admin an FC4 box using RAID, LVM and
Clustering?

As an aside, my installation had a minor problem - during the post-install
q+a session, the GUI didn't recognize my mouse.  Dunno why, but my KVM is
connected via a 4-port IOGEAR KVM switch.  When I plugged in the mouse
directly into the PC, everything worked fine.  Subsequently (after I finish
the post-install q+a session, and now during normal operations), the mouse
via the KVM switch works fine.

TIA,

Steve