Install analog joystick

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:25:00 UTC 2005

On 7/18/05, Wolfgang Gill <wolfgang at rpi.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:18:33 -0500, Javier Perez wrote
> > Hi
> > I am running a generic 2-axis 3 button joystck that  sticks to the 9
> > pin joystick port in the back of the computer.
> >
> > The sysetm does not detect it on startup.
> >
> > Javier
> >
> > On 7/17/05, Wolfgang Gill <wolfgang at rpi.net.au> wrote:
> > > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:07:24 -0500, Javier Perez wrote

> > > Your joystick should have been automaticly detected and setup (Assuming FC4 is
> > > anything like RHEL4 which also uses a 2.6 kernel). The only thing that you
> > > would need to do, is to create a symlink to /dev/input/js0 as the 2.6 kernel
> > > creates the joystick device there. So you need to create the symlink in /dev
> > > where the apps look for it like this. (/dev/js0 is the old location which is
> > > used in previous kernels)
> > >
> > > ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0
> > >
> > > The test apps and other programs like games which can use the joystick should
> > > now find it.. There is another way to do it, but I'm not on my RHEL4 box right
> > > now.. (This system here still runs RH9, so it's different).
> > >
> > > Oh, and you don't mention the brand of joystick your trying to configure. I
> > > use a CH Products Combatstick 568 USB on my system, which it detects and
> > > configures automatically, but I still have to change the location and/or
> > > symlink to the new location like I mentioned above. And it works great in UT,
> > > UT2K4 etc just fine. Or whether your running a Joystick port type Joystick or
> > > a USB one like I have.
> > >
> > > Hope this Helps,
> > > Wolf
> > > --
> > > Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)
>
> I forgot to add that you may need to read this part too, as it refers to
> Joystick port joysticks.. (As Mine is a USB joystick that stuff isn't needed)
>
> 2.4 Modules needed
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>   For all joystick drivers to function, you'll need the userland interface
> module in kernel, either loaded or compiled in:
>
>         modprobe joydev
>
>   For gameport joysticks, you'll have to load the gameport driver as well;
>
>         modprobe ns558
>
>   And for serial port joysticks, you'll need the serial input line
> discipline module loaded and the inputattach utility started:
>
>         modprobe serport
>         inputattach -xxx /dev/tts/X &
>
>   In addition to that, you'll need the joystick driver module itself, most
> usually you'll have an analog joystick:
>
>         modprobe analog
>
>   For automatic module loading, something like this might work - tailor to
> your needs:
>
>         alias tty-ldisc-2 serport
>         alias char-major-13 input
>         above input joydev ns558 analog
>         options analog js=gameport
>
> Wolf
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)
>
> --

I believe I am getting closer.
First, I made the /dev/input/js0 to js3 as it says on the joystick.txt
file but they were erased upon reboot.

On the other hand, I used jstest on the event0 file and this is what I got:

[root at musa dev]# jstest /dev/input/event0
Joystick (Unknown) has 2 axes and 2 buttons. Driver version is 0.8.0.
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

jstest: error reading: Invalid argument

Does it mean that instead of /dev/input/js0 I should be using event0 ?

This is the content of my /dev/input directory

[root at musa input]# ls -l
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 64 Jul 17 21:42 event0
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 65 Jul 17 21:42 event1
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 63 Jul 17 21:42 mice
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 32 Jul 17 21:42 mouse0

Funny thing is that I do not see it on dmesg.

--
 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com
 ~~~~ 	Javier Perez