autoload of kernel modules: how?

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr
Mon Jul 18 21:02:42 UTC 2005

Le lundi 18 juillet 2005 à 19:25 +0100, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 19:55 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:

> > > Depends when you want the module loaded. rc.local is executed right at
> > > the end of the boot process, but rc.modules or
> > > /etc/sysconfig/modules/*.modules is much earlier. If you need your
> > > module loading for some services to start, rc.local will be too late.
> > >
> > > Paul.
> > >
> > Ok what is the syntax of these *.modules files (ie if i want to load a
> > module named spca5xx i have just to add it in this file) ?
>
> It's a shell script, so you want something like:
>
> modprobe spca5xx
>
> > You say that /etc/sysconfig/modules/*.modules is much earlier but when ?
>
> Look at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - it's at around line 218.
>
> It's just after the:
>
> Initializing hardware... storage network audio done.
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

So i tried it but i have always the same problem : the system hangs at
boot if the usb webcam is plugged in and if i unplugge it the system
goes up. But i can't figure where the problem come from. If I plug the
usb webcam after login all is fine, the driver is loaded and the webcam
is useable. Maybe it can be that this driver try to make a
device /dev/video1 (/dev/video0 is for my tvcard) but it is not
compliant to udev. Maybe i have to had something /etc/modrpobe.conf
(like alias char-major-81 bttv for tv card). Maybe something else but i
don't know ...
Help needed if it is possible !

--
Eric Tanguy | Nantes, France