Debugging spdif

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Jul 19 03:03:02 UTC 2005

Are you using pure ALSA, or ALSA's OSS emulation?

It might be that the non-audio bit isn't being set correctly in
the AC3 packet header...  Some decoders are fussy about this.

Some aren't.

I suspect that whoever wrote the SPDIF driver(s) for ALSA
had a receiver that locked up the rate and ignored the contents
of the AC3 packet header (i.e. it went by clocking rate and not
by header type).

-Philip