Bind Question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jul 21 15:32:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 17:22 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 21.07.2005 schrieb Terry Polzin um 15:52:
>
> > Normal mode, pid file is setup to be in /var/named.
>
> Ok. I have bind only running in chrooted mode.
>
> > So what you're telling me is that I need to
> >
> > 1) Change named.conf to put the pid file in /var/named/run/
> > 2) chmod 750 /var/named
> > 3) mkdir /var/named/run; chmod 770 /var/named/run;chown
> > root:named /var/named/run
> >
> > Right?
>
> No :}
> Not "/var/named/run/" but "/var/run/named". That directory is created by
> the bind rpm and should exist on your system. If bind is chrooted this
> directory is located inside the chroot, which is by rpm
> "/var/named/chroot/var/run/named". And exactly there I find my
> named.pid. I have no setting (neither in named.conf nor in the named
> init script) to tell bind where to place the pid file. The bind binary
> knows that from compilation.

According to "man named.conf" there's an option "pid-file" to specify
where to put the pid file. However, the initscript assumes that the
pidfile will be /var/run/named.pid (or its chrooted equivalent) and is
hardcoded that way.

I think in general it's best to go with your distribution's defaults for
file locations etc. because it'll result in less confusion, less
unexpected breakage and generally less maintenance when upgrades come
along. I learned this for myself when sendmail 8.10.0 came along and the
upstream authors tried to get all the vendors to put sendmail.cf and
aliases etc. under /etc/mail instead of the various places that
different vendors used. I went along with this for my own machines for
quite some time but RedHat still insist on putting aliases in /etc
rather than /etc/mail. In the end I gave in, saved myself the hassle and
let them stay in /etc. I recall there was even a comment in the sendmail
spec file about the location of the aliases database, something like
"... made me do it", so obviously the packager agreed with me :-)

Paul
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>