Samba Authentication problem -- one machine only!!!

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Thu Jul 21 17:19:34 UTC 2005

Hi Folks:

I am continuing to work on the samba problems.  This is a weird one!!!

I have 3 servers with samba running:

2 of them work perfectly and the third one refuses to authenticated

I am seeing a lot of the following error

 [2005/07/21 12:58:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1000)
  getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

Googleing around has found that it seems to be related to DNS issues,
but that makes no sense, since the two other servers running identical
[global] sections (only differences are machine names etc) and krb5
configurations are working fine

The web server works cool
The testbed server works kool

When I try to access the file server, it asks for authentication

Kinit shows no errors, so I assume that's working right

Here is the smb.conf
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        idmap gid = 10000-40000
        socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192
        wins server = 192.168.0.2
        domain master = No
        realm = MCASCHOOL.NET
        netbios name = srvfs-01
        server string = MCA File Server (test conf)
        password server = srvdc01.mcaschool.net
        idmap uid = 10000-40000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        local master = No
        workgroup = MCASCHOOL
        os level = 20
        winbind enum groups = yes
        security = ads
        preferred master = no

[users]
        path = /home
        read only = No

here is the nsswitch.conf

#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#       nisplus or nis+         Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#       nis or yp               Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#       dns                     Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#       files                   Use the local files
#       db                      Use the local database (.db) files
#       compat                  Use NIS on compat mode
#       hesiod                  Use Hesiod for user lookups
#       [NOTFOUND=return]       Stop searching if not found so far
#

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files compat winbind
shadow:           compat
group:      files compat winbind

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns winbind

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files winbind
rpc:        files
services:   files winbind

netgroup:   files winbind

publickey:  nisplus

automount:  files winbind
aliases:    files nisplus

And the  /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
         default_realm = MCASCHOOL.NET

[realms]
         MCASCHOOL.NET = {
         kdc = srvdc01.mcaschool.net
         }

[domain_realm]
         .mcaschool.net = MCASCHOOL.NET
         mcaschool.net = MCASCHOOL.NET

here is the /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       srvfs-01        localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.5     srvfs-01        srvfs-01.mcaschool.net  srvfs-01

And last but not least the  /etc/resolv.conf

domain mcaschool.net
nameserver 192.168.0.2

This one has me totally stumped, because one of the servers that is
running is running an exactly identical hardware set

Any suggestions would be most helpful

Timothy A. Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster / Science Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11