Samba Authentication problem -- one machine only!!!

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Thu Jul 21 18:35:15 UTC 2005

> This problem typically has to do with either reverse DNS not working
> properly OR winbind isn't happy.  Verify that both forward and reverse
> DNS lookups work properly from all machines when referencing the file
> server.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, try this on the file server:
>
> 	1. Stop winbind
> 	2. Delete the /etc/samba/secrets.tdb file
> 	3. Join the file server machine to the domain again
> 	4. Restart winbind.
>
> See if that has any affect.

[Tim Holmes]
Rick:

Heres the results of the NSLOOKUP commands

login as: root
root at srvfs-01's password:
Last login: Thu Jul 21 13:33:47 2005 from tim-base.mcaschool.net
[root at srvfs-01 ~]# nslookup srvdc01
Server:         192.168.0.2
Address:        192.168.0.2#53

Name:   srvdc01.mcaschool.net
Address: 192.168.0.2

[root at srvfs-01 ~]# nslookup 192.168.0.2
Server:         192.168.0.2
Address:        192.168.0.2#53

2.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa        name = srvdc01.mcaschool.net.

[root at srvfs-01 ~]#

Deleteing the secrets.tdb file and rejoining had no effect -- same
problem -- when I try to access it from windows, it demands
authentication, and wont accept proper credentials

TIM