Monitor bandwidth usage for each computer in LAN

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 21 21:20:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 16:38, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> > Hello,
> > I have a cable connection that come to my D-Link Combo (wired / wireless)
> > router in my home network. There are three wired computers and one
> > wireless
> > laptop connected to the router right now. Is there any easy way to monitor
> > the broadband bandwidth usage for each computer (ie. outgoing and incoming
> > bandwidth) ? Can mrtg do this ?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Reuben D. Budiardja
>
> I think ntop can do this, can't it?  Anyone?
>
> TC

ntop can do it if you run ntop on that particular system.  If you had a
linux box acting as the router ntop would be able to collect some very
interesting stats for all traffic that passed through the firewall.

mrtg may be able to do it.  However I have not run mrtg against a linux
box, just cisco switches.  Not sure if the mib on the linux box contains
the network information you would want for such stats.  Would have to
check that.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after
eating one peanut.
		-- Channing Pollock