Common Folder for all users

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jul 21 15:55:59 UTC 2005

Shane Lahey wrote:
> Hello Stanley,
>
> Sunday, July 17, 2005, 9:41:09 PM, you wrote:
>
> SD> Is there a way to have a folder setup in a common
> SD> place and then become a folder visible in the users
> SD> home directory after they logon?  If so how is it done?
>

> SD> ____________________________________________________
> SD> Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
> SD> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
>
> ln is your friend :)
> example:
>   mkdir /common/user1
>   ln -s /common/user1 /home/user1/extra_space
>
>   ----SNIP----

---SNIP ---

I have used this at home with the multimedia files and shared
documents.  What I have come across is some issues with directory and
path usage with copying and moving files around.

I have found that the 'mount --bind {source} {link}' works better than
ln for some cases.

Look up
   man mount

Also, I create a group for the users that use the shared directories.

--
Robin Laing