External Network Change

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Fri Jul 22 17:24:12 UTC 2005

FC3 (all up to date)

This may seem simple but I'm changing ISPs and I have 2 internet facing
systems that also connect to the private network.  One being the GW the
other being Mail.  So I have the gateway working fine but I can not get
the mail server working in the changed network config.  I just want to
make sure I'm not missing anything, because I think that the ISP is not
routing, switching, or configured correctly.

-The two systems are attached to a Hub along with the connection to the
Internet.
-The gateway system is working fine with the new ISP changes (serves as
the DNS and GW)
-The mail server can be configured with the new ISP, but once I do that
system can not ping the internet
--however it can ping the internet side of the GW
--and the intranet.
-With ethereal I sniffed the mail server connection and it does appear
to get anthing back from the ISP GW

Here are the changes that I make to mail server:

1. Use system-config-network to change the:
 -IP Address
 -Subnet Mask
 -Gateway
2. Change the IPTables Firewall Script to match the new config
3. Turn off the firewall script for the first booting in the new network
config
4. Reboot

The booting goes fine but I can not ping anything other than the GW
system on the Internet side.

Is there anything that I'm missing or might try?  Or does this sound
like a routing problem on the side of my ISP?