(OT) Thunderbird Mail Filters

The Joker thejoker at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 23 11:58:13 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Which one?
>
> $ find . -name "msg*" -print
> ./ekjnipei.default/Mail/save/pop.sbcglobal.yahoo-2.com/msgFilterRules.dat
> ./ekjnipei.default/Mail/save/pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com/msgFilterRules.dat
> ./ekjnipei.default/Mail/pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com/msgFilterRules.dat
> ./ekjnipei.default/Mail/Local Folders/msgFilterRules.dat
>
> Using the last one, I get (with stuff not related to this echo snipped)
>
> version="8"
> logging="no"
> name="fedora-list at redhat.com"
> enabled="yes"
> type="1"
> action="Move to folder"
> actionValue="mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox/Fedora%20Core%20List"
> condition="OR (to,is,fedora-list at redhat.com)"

You appear to have four different email accounts set up here, using a
global inbox (same as me).

The official Thunderbird builds do not filter using the "Local Folders"
filter rules when downloading mail.

If your fedora mail is coming through on the pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
account, you will need to update the filters in the
./ekjnipei.default/Mail/save/pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com/msgFilterRules.dat
file.

I use Thunderbird set up similarly to yours, and I have found that the
easiest thing to do is to set up the filters under Local Folders, and
then copy the msgFilterRules.dat file from the Local Folders directory,
and copy it to the other directories.

See this link for more information:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
For more information on Thunderbird (and Mozilla products in general),
try these links:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page
http://www.mozillazine.org/

Hope this helps!