Last Attempt at fixing DVD drives before abandoning Fedora Core

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 17:44:03 UTC 2005

On 7/23/05, Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> Okay, this is it. As much as I am rooting for Fedora Core to be a stable
> (enough) desktop environment, the inability to reliably read DVDs is a
> deal breaker. I am making one last ditch effort to see if anyone can
> help, but if not, I'm going to have to give up on Fedora.
>
> I hope someone can help out here and at least give me a reason why my
> DVD drives are not working, if not solve them, so that I can assess
> whether or not I'm liable to encounter the same problem with another
> distribution of Linux (which is why I haven't already switched).

Feel your pain, I gave up on my external USB dvd burner. I spent $40 on
an IDE dual-layer burner and it works.  USB mass storage devices seem to
be busted.  I've seen others with problems and even a mention of spurious
timeouts.  Apparently firewire is more stable.  IDE I know to be stable.
Where to point the finger though?  I don't know if it's USB mass storage
devices in general or the linux kernel.

As for stability with fedora...the two words really can't go together.
Fedora is a testbed for redhat, that's no secret.

I expect to wait to see the problems of USB mass storage to get sorted out.