Cannot boot from CDROM

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jul 25 00:05:36 UTC 2005

Burnie West writes:

> But to be sure, I attempted to boot with a KNOPPIX CD and found I cannot
> boot from my CDROM.
> The boot process goes directly to the FC4.  I poked around trying to
> understand and found
> (1) /boot/grub/device.map has two entries -- fd0 followed by hda (says it
> was generated by anaconda)
> (2) /boot/grub/grub.conf lists FC4, FC4-install, and DOS (which was by the
> way long ago corrupted and is now useless)
> (3) BIOS lists three boot devices in order CDROM, FLOPPY, and HDD-0
>
> I have a DVD drive and a CR-RW drive internal.

Looks like your BIOS is capable only of booting from the first CD-ROM
device.  Your BIOS cannot boot from your second CD-ROM device (your DVD-RW
drive).

You will need to re-connect and re-jumper everything so that your DVD-RW is
the first CD-ROM device that your BIOS sees.

> I tried also including CDROM, using this revised file
> 	(cdrom) /dev/hdc
> 	(fd0)   /dev/fd0
> 	(hda)	/dev/hda
> and tried also with the first entry changed to (hdc)     /dev/hdc

Grub has nothing to do with booting from a CD-ROM.  Grub's only purpose is
to bootstrap your kernel and initrd.