Fedora & Ndiswrapper & Mimo Wireless

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 04:06:38 UTC 2005

Hi Paul,
[notes inline]

On 7/24/05, Paul Hoy <paul.hoy at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> Thanks for your email. I should have provided more details in my
> original email. Being aware of the 4k of memory issue, I recompiled
> the kernel and also tried the Linuxant kernels.  I was able to get
> the lights going on the modem, but could never achieve a connection
> with the router.

So did you get farther with the 8k stacks versus 4k?  I would think
that if you were having issues there that you would get nice things
like kernel panics and lockups, not that it just wouldn't work.  But
my card works just fine (Broadcom chipset) with the 4k stacks, so I
have not seen the symptoms of small stacks when larger ones are
needed.  But I have had other problems that resulted in kernel panics
and hard locks.

> One thing about recompiling the kernel, though. When I used xconfig
> to remove the 4k limit, it only gave me the option to disable the
> limit and indicated that FC4 would use a 8k limit. I though 16 k was
> needed in some cases.

I think Linuxant, as mentioned before has 16k stack kernels.  I've
heard that the Linux kernel is going more toward 4k stacks
exclusively.

> As you suggested, I also used the Network utility to try to activate
> the card. The lights came on (as I mentioned), but it could not
> connect. I tried several different settings.
>
> I'm going to try it in SUSE, and see what happens, which is too bad
> because I really like FC4.

I don't think that SuSE will do any better than Fedora.  ndiswrapper
works just fine with Fedora.  So if you are having problems, it is
with the configuration.  SuSE might be able to more easily configure
things, but that would be the only possible difference I could think
of (I'm not saying that it would be, just that would be a possible
difference).

> Thanks for your email.
>
> Paul

If you could give us some specifics, such as wireless card(s) (the
output of "lspci" for the card would be helpful), drivers, setup (WEP,
etc, (no need to tell us keys, just whether you have it or not)), what
you have tried, what hasn't worked, etc.  Without details, we can only
help you so much.  With details, someone just might be able to tell
you exactly what to do.

Jonathan

PS: Please do not put your reply above the email you are replying to.
That is called top-posting and makes the conversation flow harder to
follow when reading.  Please either put your reply below or inline
(like this one) as that is the convention on this list.