disk partitioning problem (ignore the first e-mail I did not mean to send that one)

Alex Aguilar smashhead2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 10:28:36 UTC 2005

Hello!

         According to my defrag report, witch I have as an attachment to this e-mail, I still have 22.65GB's worth of free space on my harddisk, yet when I used disk druid and chose the option to have my disk automatically formated with out erasing any existing partitions, and using the rest of the free space on my hard disk, it displayed an error message telling me "Error partitioning, could not allocate requested partitions partitioning failed: could not allocate partitions as primary partitions." What is the problem, and how could I fix this? I realy want to have linux installed on my pc, it will be my first distribution.

#################The origional message I had sent before this one, that was already replied to#############################################################################
Hello!

I already have windows XP home edition installed on my pc, and I am trying to configure my pc to duel boot between windows XP, and Fedora, but first I have to install fedora on a seperate partition. should this partition be a primary partition, or an extended one? also I was reading how to install fedore for windows duel boot on the download site <fedora.redhat.com> (the exact URL of my location was <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-x86-dualboot-parted.html>), and I got to the part where I am told to insert the CD (FC4-i386-rescuecd.iso for the "parted tool"), type rescue, select language, select skip when I am prompted "Will not attempt to find a Red Hat Linux install to rescue, and then finally where I am prompted (I guess by parted) on what partitions that I would like to repartition. I am told to type one of these commands at the prompt: parted/dev/hdx, or parted/dev/sdx; where "x" is the partition number of the hard drive that I wan!
t to
 partition.(On top of not knowing what command to use) Know I am aware that in Linux drives hda1-3 are resurved for primary partitions, while 4 is for a single extended partition, and 5 on up is for logical drives located with in the extended partition; but what number should I input into the "x" variable of my commands, so that I will not erase windows XP, but yet at the same time still have a fully functional linux operating system?(I would like my system to start up on windows XP upon start up, unless I press F8 and select Fedora from the boot menu(since I will be the only on in my house using linux Fedora.)

http://mail.yahoo.com