Sound again! RealPlayer10 working but nothing else ...

Jeremy Davis jdaytona at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:06:54 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Does RealPlayer use its own sound module?
>
> I'm running Fedora-4 with linux-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 ,
> and I'm quite baffled by the sound setup.
> Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
> I have tried changing settings in alsamixer,
> and this sometimes seems to work, and sometimes does not.

I had the same issue with xmms, sometimes sound would work sometimes it
wouldn't. My problem was the java-vm accessing the /dev/dsp device.
To see what is using the /dev/dsp I issued a:
'fuser -v /dev/dsp'
Then killed whatever process was using it and xmms worked like a champ.

Is there any way to share the device for multiple programs??

> But RealPlayer10 seems to work fine.
>
> Actually, after leaving RealPlayer10,
> sound seems to be restored, as heard when clicking "Play test sound" in
> System Settings=>Soundcard Detection .
>
> Incidentally, is that the best way to test sound?
> Would "cat <sound file> > /dev/dsp" be a more reliable test?
>
> Probably not relevant, but the sound system in my laptop
> is Yamaha YMF-754 [DS-1E Audio Controller]
> and the kernel uses the snd-ymfpci module .

Thanks
JT

--
ya viene el sol  |