YUM Config files

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 25 21:11:27 UTC 2005

David Mamanakis wrote:
> This list is exceedingly helpful!
> I am a new user (well, duh) to Linux, as far as it goes...and I just have
> several questions when it comes to installing and configuring the OS to my
> preference...
>
> My next question regards the YUM config files...
> I am looking for how to set one up so that I can install things like Xine,
> Superkaramba, and other programs.
>
> I tried installing Superkaramba, but I ended going around in circles...
> Superkaramba wanted KDEBASE, KDEBASE wanted KDELIBS, KDELIBS wanted
> KDEADDONS, and KDEADDONS wanted KDEBASE...
>
> I couldn't install it.
>
> I am hoping that I can install Superkaramba and other programs by using YUM,
> like I can do with Xine...
>
> Thanks for any help on this config file thing...
>
> --D

I've got a question which is closely related, yet in a somewhat
different vein. I've noticed that RPM, yum, and similar packages
still maintain the fiction that all computers are truely
multi-user. I see no reason to install non-system files as root,
in system areas. I suppose that there is some justification in
that one cannot accidentally remove the executables, say. But
really, when installing a cross-compiler for an embedded machine,
why should I install it in /usr/bin as root? That clutters up the
directory with non-system related stuff. Would it be reasonable
to pursue the idea of non-root installed RPMs for non-system
information? As it is now, the standard releases don't seem to
support this.

Mike