List spam

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 26 12:46:37 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Then why doesn't the list manager just delete this guy's email address
> form the list? I know that this has been mentioned in past Peter
> discussions, and I have emailed fedora-list-owner at redhat.com as
> recommended on the mailing list homepage. So who is the list manager?
> Surely some Redhat engineers drop by on the list and can get the
> message to someone who can delete Peter. I'd even volunteer myself to
> monitor the list and manage users like this. If Redhat would trust me
> with the keys, of course.

This guy's email address can't just be deleted from the list because *we
don't know what address of his is on the list*. Some address on this
list is forwarding to peter.whalley at uol.com.br but the address
peter.whalley at uol.com.br itself is not on the list. It might be easier
to tell if the challenge-spam actually included the Received: headers of
the message it was challenging, but it doesn't.

To find the offending address, the list manager would have to send
individual messages to each list subscriber and find out which one
resulted in a challenge.

Paul.