Fedora & Ndiswrapper & Mimo Wireless

Paul Hoy paul.hoy at mac.com
Wed Jul 27 02:13:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

[Notes inline]

On Jul 26, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 17:30 -0400, Paul Hoy wrote:
>
>> On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Jonathan Berry wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Paul,
>>> [notes inline]

>>> So did you get farther with the 8k stacks versus 4k?  I would think
>>> that if you were having issues there that you would get nice things
>>> like kernel panics and lockups, not that it just wouldn't work.  But
>>> my card works just fine (Broadcom chipset) with the 4k stacks, so I
>>> have not seen the symptoms of small stacks when larger ones are
>>> needed.  But I have had other problems that resulted in kernel
>>> panics
>>> and hard locks.

>>> I think Linuxant, as mentioned before has 16k stack kernels.  I've
>>> heard that the Linux kernel is going more toward 4k stacks
>>> exclusively.

>>> I don't think that SuSE will do any better than Fedora.  ndiswrapper
>>> works just fine with Fedora.  So if you are having problems, it is
>>> with the configuration.  SuSE might be able to more easily configure
>>> things, but that would be the only possible difference I could think
>>> of (I'm not saying that it would be, just that would be a possible
>>> difference).

>>> If you could give us some specifics, such as wireless card(s) (the
>>> output of "lspci" for the card would be helpful), drivers, setup
>>> (WEP,
>>> etc, (no need to tell us keys, just whether you have it or not)),
>>> what
>>> you have tried, what hasn't worked, etc.  Without details, we can
>>> only
>>> help you so much.  With details, someone just might be able to tell
>>> you exactly what to do.
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>>> PS: Please do not put your reply above the email you are replying
>>> to.
>>> That is called top-posting and makes the conversation flow harder to
>>> follow when reading.  Please either put your reply below or inline
>>> (like this one) as that is the convention on this list.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Well, I've  begun to work with Fedora again to get  my Linksys
>> WPC54GX working. This time, I wanted to try the Linuxant
>> DriverLoader.
>>
>> I downloaded and installed the Linuxant 2.6.12-1.388_FC4.stk16 kernel
>> to address the 4 k stack problem. Upon reboot, I encountered a kernel
>> panic:
>>
>> "Kernel panic - not syncing: net/sched ... generic.c:547:
>> spin_is_locked on uninitialized spinlock df4f3170. (Not tainted)"
>>
>> Two questions: what may have caused this and which kernel version do
>> I install? i586 or i686? How do I know which is the right one?
>>
>> Finally, any hints about restoring the previous kernel would be
>> helpful.
>>

> 1)
> i586 is only needed for very old Pentium and maybe PII processors.
> PIII
> and up all use the I686 kernels.
>
> Also, the kernel version you list "2.6.12-1.388_FC4.stk16" is not
> in the
> list of kernels I see on the linuxant site.  Which kernel did you
> actually install?

The kernel I installed is:

2.6.12-1.1398_FC4

But the name of the downloaded file is called:

kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.stk16.i686.rpm.zip

The kernel is listed and can be downloaded from:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc4-kernel-
i686.php

And, before I get the kernel panic, the screen reads:

"Booting Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.stk16)"

I noticed in my previous email that I wrote "2.6...388" .. should
have said "2.6...398".

Do you think that I used the incorrect kernel and that this caused
the kernel pacic. I have since tried another install, with the same
result.

By the way, I read somewhere that the mimo-based or pre-n cards might
not be supported by ndiswrapper. I wonder if this is the case with
Linuxant?

Thanks,
Paul