List spam

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 04:26:48 UTC 2005

On 7/26/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Then why doesn't the list manager just delete this guy's email address
> > form the list? I know that this has been mentioned in past Peter
> > discussions, and I have emailed fedora-list-owner at redhat.com as
> > recommended on the mailing list homepage. So who is the list manager?
> > Surely some Redhat engineers drop by on the list and can get the
> > message to someone who can delete Peter. I'd even volunteer myself to
> > monitor the list and manage users like this. If Redhat would trust me
> > with the keys, of course.
>
> This guy's email address can't just be deleted from the list because *we
> don't know what address of his is on the list*. Some address on this
> list is forwarding to peter.whalley at uol.com.br but the address
> peter.whalley at uol.com.br itself is not on the list. It might be easier
> to tell if the challenge-spam actually included the Received: headers of
> the message it was challenging, but it doesn't.
>
> To find the offending address, the list manager would have to send
> individual messages to each list subscriber and find out which one
> resulted in a challenge.
>
> Paul.

Really? No @uol.co.br addresses on the list and the stupid
challenge/response doesn't return headers?

I wonder if anybody on the list would object to this appreach:
List manager emails HALF of the list with the subject test-peter. If
he gets challenged, then he emails HALF of those he emailed with
test-peter2. If not, then he emails the OTHER HALF with test-peter2.
And so on.
I personally would not have any problem with getting 200 or so test
emails one day, if it meant the end of Peter. This approach may sound
time consuming to the guy with the red hat doing the tests, but I
wouldn't mind doing it on Redhat's behalf. I would even do it from my
own email account! I'm more of an asker than an answerer on the list,
so I am always looking for ways that I can contribute.

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/331/mccain_edwin.php
McCain, Edwin Song Lyrics