Sound problems with Fedora Core 3 and 4

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Wed Jul 27 14:18:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a Athlon64 3000+ machine with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
card. This card uses the Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear
SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] chipset and the snd-cs46x kernel module.
When I boot FC3 (32 bits version), there's no midi device available in
KDE Control Center. Besides, PCM sound volume lows down by itself during
login. I mean, right after clicking "ok" in kdm logon screen, the sound
is at the volume I left it when I logged out. The KDE login sound begins
playing ok but, before it finishes, sound volume lows down to almost
inaudible. When I open kmixer, volume indicators seems ok, everything is
configured as it was at logout, but sound is low. The solution is to run
system-config-soundcard. Then the sound volume raises again, with no
change in kmixer controls. The volume stays right until next login.
When I boot FC4 at the same machine, two midi devices are available at
KDE Control Center. Kmixer runs ok. However, I get no sound, neither PCM
nor MIDI. Runing system-config-soundcard doesn't help here. It plays the
test sound, but the computer stays mute.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marcelo