Closing Ports on single server with multiple IP's?

David Cary Hart fedora at tqmcube.com
Wed Jul 27 16:08:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 10:59 -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a server set up with multiple IP's aliased to it through eth0:1,
> eth0:2, etc.....
>
> Each (aliased) IP currently has the same ports open on it as the others
> and I want to turn off some of the ports on all of the IP except for
> what IP is being used.
>
> For example we have SMTP on port 25 which should be listening only on 2
> of our IP's and not on the rest of them as well.
>
> How can I turn of various ports from listening on these IP's?

Typically, this is done through the software. For example, by default
Postfix will listen on 25 on all interfaces; Apache on 80. However, both
packages offer a configuration option that allows one to specify IP
addresses.
--
Tired of spam? Do YOUR part: http://www.BoulderPledge.org
Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm