SELINUX - Why?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Wed Jul 27 20:04:34 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 14:24, Mike McCarty wrote:
> What I mean is, I ask "Why should I run selinux?" The answer
> then seems to be "We don't know, but if you don't bad things
> might happen to your system due to malicious programs."

Seems to me the only one who can answer this for you is well, you.
I see it the same question as "What does a firewall do for me?" or
"What does a anti-virus utility do for me?"

If you don't connect to the Internet or use E-mail, neither will
offer you the advantages they will to someone who does.  How do you
use your computers?

Your perception of the possible threats will be proportional to your
skill to develop, understand, or have been bitten by, those threats
yourself.  For example, this week an announcement was made where
vim, the most common editor on *nix can be used remotely to attack
your system if someone can get you to open a ASCII text file.  Only
you will know if this is something you typically will do on your
computers and if so, be able to evaluate whether SELinux will offer
you protection from this paticular threat.

In a different realm but essentially the same question; "How much
insurance do you buy for your car and why?"  I don't think there's
a one-size-fits-all answer.

Regards, Mike Klinke