No GRUB loading on a 2 HD system

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 27 21:52:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 23:16 +0200, DANEYE wrote:
> Hi:
>
> On my computer I have 2 HDs àn 160Gb each.
>
> On the primary (no partitions)  I have WXPPro installed and on
>
> the slave (no partitions)  I have recently installed Fedora Core 4.
>
> My problem is that the GRUB doesn’t ‘act’ so there is no
>
> booting choice: I always end up with the XP.
>
> There are no –what I can see- tips and tricks to find about my problem
>
> in the Hudson/Hudson/Ball/Duff Red Hat Fedora 4 UNLEASHED.
>
> Anybody who has hints in the matter?

1. Wrong list.  You posted on the development list.  You want

2. Please - no HTML.
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml

3. You must have at least 1 partition on each drive if you have an OS
installed.  The FC4 installer will have partitioned the drive on which
it was installed.

4. Most likely problem would be writing the boot record on the second
disk MBR or /boot partition rather than on the primary MBR.  Need to
post more details on what you did and what you've tried.

5. Boot from the installation disk in rescue mode, chroot to the
installed system and run grub-install.

Phil