YUM - What is happening during update? (FC2 + Legacy)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 23:11:58 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> That is what I thought. I dunno who is responsible for YUM, but
> somewhat more apropos display messages might be in order.

To be more specific, I suppose that the reason that yum displays
the "downloading headers" message is that this might take some
time, and to reassure the user that something is happening.
But as it turns out, on my machine, the download is not what
is time consuming. Perhaps a separate message like "checking
installed database for needed updates" preceeding that
check might be helpful. I suspect that many other users will
have the same results as I do.

Mike