OT - RHEL vs. Fedora

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Jul 27 23:36:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 17:29 -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I'm considering a move to RHEL.  I was wondering if anyone knows the answers
> to the following questions?
>
> 1) what version of FC is the latest RHEL based on?

RHEL 4 came out right before FC3 was released, so it is mainly based on
an "enterpise-hardened" FC2.

> 2) Can I still setup yum repos such as kde-redhat and still get support if
> needed?

Yes.  However, be aware that if you need support from Red Hat on
something and they find that you have installed packages DIRECTLY
RELATED TO YOUR PROBLEM which come from other sources, they will
probably ask you to remove those foreign packages as a trouble-shooting
step.

In other words, if you install a non-Red Hat version of KDE and then
call Red Hat because you are having KDE problems, they will probably ask
you to remove the non-Red Hat KDE stuff.

If you install non-Red Hat KDE and then have problems with something
unrelated like USB support, Red Hat will work the unrelated issue with
no hassles.
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
512-241-0774 (office)