SHRED for EXT3?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 23:57:32 UTC 2005

Damian Menscher wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> I think something like this will come close.
>>
>> lots of random writes
>> tune2fs -O ^has_journal device
>> shred shreddees
>> tune2fs -O  has_journal device
>

> My first thought when seeing this thread a few days ago was:
>    remount as ext2; shred files; remount as ext3
> I'm fairly certain that meets DoD standards.

DOD standard is probably beyond what I need. Umm, how
does one unmount/remount one's root?

> Not sure why there's so much discussion here....

I think it's because there is a significant issue, and not much
real information.

> BTW, you will be amused to hear I wiped a drive for someone a few years
> ago via the (wipe|shred) /dev/hda method.  25 passes of patterns and
> random data.  No way any government could get that data back.  Doubtful

Presumably, you have never heard of the Watergate Tapes and the
"erased" tapes which were later recovered.

> that aliens could get it either.  And the person still keeps the drive
> in a secure location.  Yes, some people are paranoid.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to
get you."

As I pointed out earlier, *my* interest is (almost) purely ethical.

Mike