FC4 install over SuSe linux 9.1

Dave Frazier frazida at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 13:47:29 UTC 2005

I've had SuSe linux 9.1 running on a dual-boot P4 (the other OS is Win 2k/XP).

I download and burned the FC4 disk1-4 iso files and proceeded with the
graphic install.

I tried to manually partition the disk drive - bad idea. I got a
traceback flagging a problem with a name exception (i.e. volume). I
restarted the install, this time selecting automatic partitioning and
got the same traceback.

I ran the media check on the install CD, which *failed*. (This is even
though the sha1sum was ok.)

I happened to have a disk set for FC2. I was then able to successfully
install FC2 (kernel 2.6.5), opting for automatic partitioning and the
default workstation packages. The installer flagged "misaligned
partitions" at the beginning of the install, saying that it was an
ignorable error, although it warned of fixable problems with the boot
loader. GRUB installed without a problem and I now have a working
dual-boot system.

Take-aways:

1. there may be issues with SuSe linux and the way it partitions disks
2. the FC4 media check may be throwing false exceptions
3. there may be a bug in the FC4 installer RE: partition volume names