now KDE packages can't be updated via "yum"

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Jul 29 13:47:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:37:09 -0400 (EDT), Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > kde-redhat depends-on/requires both Fedora Extras and rpm.livna.org
>
> this really doesn't address the fundamental issue here.  in the first
> place, that repo dependency is not mentioned anywhere here:
>
>   http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/
>
> which would seem to be the right place for it.
>
>   more to the point, isn't "livna" one of the repos that is considered
> to be incompatible with a vast majority of the others?  certainly, dag
> wieers seems to think so:

Dag Wieers had a really bad day and was in really bad mood when he created
that section in his FAQ.  It's not as simple as pointing the finger at one
or two repositories and claiming that they are the bad guys. Actually,
Livna's packages are nice to Core and Extras, and that's most important
for now. There will always be other 3rd party repositories which choose to
offer overlapping/conflicting content (because libfoo 1.0.2 in repository
X is considered too old by the person who maintains repository Y).

> so what we have here is a repository (KDE) that has undocumented
> dependencies, one of which is widely considered to not play nicely
> with others.
>
>   none of this is making me feel better, if you catch my drift.

Also note that Livna offers k3b-mp3 (k3b-extras for FC5) and
kdemultimedia-extras as clean add-ons for Core. Both packages are
certainly incompatible with a rebuilt k3b and kdemultimedia package as
provided by kde-redhat.