FC4 - What is smp kernel?

Chris Ruprecht chris at ruprecht.org
Sun Jul 31 03:12:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 16:42 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> When I installed FC4, I noticed that I have two
> kernels: one of them is the 'normal' one, the other is
> 'smp'. What is the difference, and which one should I
> use? Should I uninstall one of them?
> Thanks!
> Hoffmann

Usually, the installer installs and shows the SMP kernels only if it
detects multiple CPUs of some sort. If you have a newer machine with
either more than one real CPU, a dual core CPU or a CPU with
HyperThreading (HT) enabled.

If you have any of theose, no not remove the SMP kernel(s), otherwise
you will only be able to use one of the CPUs.

To check if your system has more than one CPU, run 'top' and press the
'1' button, that will show individual timings for each CPU.

Best regards,
Chris